The concept of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) refers to a company take into account its impact globally and try to be responsible with the environment and society.
A couple of centuries ago, a company dedicated to producing just without looking at the consequences: the factories not stop fuming, workers had working hours of 12 hours a day and cities were gray because of the pollution. Today is impossible to separate the actions of a company and the reflection that gives there is a company with important ethical values that are willing to report any anti-social behavior.
Keep in mind that the RSC is not, far from it, to do a facelift to a company to shine in the eyes of consumers. Quite the opposite, as it always should be given RSC according to the values of the company to meet all parties involved: the environment, society and the company.
We consider CSR a company is suitable when it is perfectly planned as a business strategy. Pour useless effort in “good causes” if results are not obtained, monitoring is not done and there is no impact. At this point, we have to clarify that when we talk about results do not mean own economic benefits of the capitalist system, but the action has the most positive impact possible for all parties.
Although the term CSR was coined to refer to any company with a sustainable attitude to the environment and society, there is a new generation of startups that go a step further . The products are for the most environmentally friendly, and its basic function is to improve the environment and people’s lives .
6 sustainable and responsible Startups
Last March was held in Valencia on Climate-KIC Accelerator , where entrepreneurs and Startups projects were presented. Climate-KIC is a company with public and private capital seeking innovative projects in Europe to try to stop climate change. Here we show some of the startups that are sure we will hear about shortly:
1. Agrilution: This Startup develops, produces and distributes an automatic kitchen that grows a variety of vegetables for consumption without land use and whatever the weather is like outside. This invention reduces water consumption by 98% and consumption of fertilizer by 60% compared to traditional agriculture. At the same time, also get plants to grow 3 times faster. According to its creators, the device produces enough vegetables to meet the daily diet of two people.
2. LEDsafari: This is a solar lamp made with only 5 electric components that a customer can assemble without assistance. It is the cheapest solar lamp that exists (only costs $ 2) and has the potential of a kerosene lamp. It can be mounted without having technical skills and even using local materials to the consumer.
3. Essento: According to experts, in 50 years we will not have enough meat to feed everyone in the world. When this happens, there will be only a possible future solution to the problem of lack of proteins suffer: eating insects. That’s why three Swiss youths have decided to anticipate events and engage in the business of insects. Insects produce locally to the great Swiss public: they want to legalize insects as food for human consumption, innovate with great chefs to create new recipes with insects, changing cultural barriers and try to put the insects in the range of “deli”.
4. E-volo: German Startup This has created a sustainable helicopter: it is safer, easier and cleaner than normal helicopters, which means it does not produce CO2 emissions. It works with 18 electrical rotors that allow him to fly, and so far has space for 2 people. Currently they are preparing to make a real production line.
5. SNOCOM: Imagine you have to catch a plane to go home for Christmas and your flight is canceled because of a snowstorm. Normally, how to clean the snow is removing it with a shovel or snowblower. SNOCOM has developed an invention to compress the snow, allowing airports to reduce the time spent removing snow 80%. What’s more, the compressed snow can be used as a coolant, so the company likes to talk about “collecting” and not removing snow.
6. Tube Barrier: This is a tube that acts as a dam to flooding. It is easy to use, simple to set up and store, is a rapid response to major emergencies and is reusable. In addition, it is adaptable to any place to protect buildings, houses or people in case of flooding.
While these startups are focused on increasing the quality of life of people, there may be companies that are socially responsible but also engaged in manufacture any other product. The most important thing in these cases is not only support a joint initiative at a given time, but not get involved with initiatives harmful to the environment. The typical example of a crisis because of this reputation is the company Kit-Kat, who failed to react to criticism from NGOs and social networks when it was accused of collaborating with a company that deforestation the natural habitat of the orangutan. So companies are increasingly careful consumers are more aware, a trend that will only grow in the coming years.